rdesktop question ( using Linux in a windows environment.)

Dan Shimshoni danshimsh at gmail.com
Sat Nov 27 18:09:12 IST 2010

Hi, linux-il,

This question might seem a bit not related to Linux; However,
it is a real problem which I face daily as a result of that I am
trying to use Linux in a windows environment. So I hope you can advice.

The problem description:
I am using Linux station in a company which is windows-oriented;
namely, most desktops are windows. I also have a windows desktop.
Most of the day I sit in an office which is in on another floor
from where my windows desktop is. I need to access the windows machine
quite often for many tasks (for example, reading mail, as the sysadmin
did not agree to install
install/configure a mail client on the linux machine because this is
the policy here).

So I use rdesktop from linux to windows. The trouble with this is that
every 10 minutes or so, if I do not perform any action in windows, the
rdesktop connection is disabled and I have to open a new session
of rdesktop. And this is quite annoying ! And I don't have an administrative
permission to my windows machine, so I cannot change it.

So my question is: is there some workaround ? for example, some
windows application which will be awakened every 5 minutes to let the windows
machine think that there was some action on windows, and thus the rdesktop
session will not finish ?

Regards,
DS