rdesktop question ( using Linux in a windows environment.)

shimi linux-il at shimi.net
Sat Nov 27 18:25:51 IST 2010

On Sat, Nov 27, 2010 at 6:09 PM, Dan Shimshoni <danshimsh at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, linux-il,
>
> This question might seem a bit not related to Linux; However,
> it is a real problem which I face daily as a result of that I am
> trying to use Linux in a windows environment. So I hope you can advice.
>
> The problem description:
> I am using Linux station in a company which is windows-oriented;
> namely, most desktops are windows. I also have a windows desktop.
> Most of the day I sit in an office which is in on another floor
> from where my windows desktop is. I need to access the windows machine
> quite often for many tasks (for example, reading mail, as the sysadmin
> did not agree to install
> install/configure a mail client on the linux machine because this is
> the policy here).
>
> So I use rdesktop from linux to windows. The trouble with this is that
> every 10 minutes or so, if I do not perform any action in windows, the
> rdesktop connection is disabled and I have to open a new session
> of rdesktop. And this is quite annoying ! And I don't have an
> administrative
> permission to my windows machine, so I cannot change it.
>
> So my question is: is there some workaround ? for example, some
> windows application which will be awakened every 5 minutes to let the
> windows
> machine think that there was some action on windows, and thus the rdesktop
> session will not finish ?

Maybe something like this: http://rjlpranks.com/pranks/mouse_move/ will do
the trick.

Note: This is not to recommend or vouch for the specific program. I have no
idea if it's Malware... There are other (mostly commercial, i.e. $$$)
software packages that you can find on Google when you search for "Windows
Mouse Mover"

HTH,

-- Shimi