Old debian (Lenny) unable to get speed higher then 300kbps.

Boris shtrasman borissh1983 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 12 11:07:00 IST 2010

Hi,

I got an old 10/100 switch with some new cables.

When I transfer using cross cable the speed is normal (1.5 mbps and up).
When I use the switch with two 5mr cables the speeds are around 150-300
kbps:

rsync/ssh/scp 250-300.
smb 150-200 kbps.

doing some tcpdump I noticed ACK retransmit around 3%.
I've Changed the cables.
iptables is not running.

I'm pretty sure I'm missing something very basic.

The machines :

Lenny i386 (2.6.26) and squeeze on amd64 (2.6.32)
I ditched the custom kernels and installed only what was in the reps.