Old debian (Lenny) unable to get speed higher then 300kbps.

geoffrey mendelson geoffreymendelson at gmail.com
Sun Sep 12 11:13:51 IST 2010

On Sep 12, 2010, at 11:07 AM, Boris shtrasman wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I got an old 10/100 switch with some new cables.
>
> When I transfer using cross cable the speed is normal (1.5 mbps and
> up).
> When I use the switch with two 5mr cables the speeds are around
> 150-300 kbps:
>
> rsync/ssh/scp 250-300.
> smb 150-200 kbps.
>
> doing some tcpdump I noticed ACK retransmit around 3%.
> I've Changed the cables.
> iptables is not running.
>
> I'm pretty sure I'm missing something very basic.

Oh no, not another EDIMAX switch problem. :-)

Just kidding. Try setting your ethernet parameters to 100m bits per
second, and half duplex.

BTW, are you sure the cables are good? New does not always mean
better, or ever working. :-(

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson,  N3OWJ/4X1GM
To help restaurants, as part of the "stimulus package", everyone must