[OT?] Hebrew on Samsung Galaxy S android phone? Root'ing android?

Amos Shapira amos.shapira at gmail.com
Mon Sep 20 15:16:56 IST 2010

On 20 September 2010 23:13, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks. The rooting instructions start with this step:
> """
> 1 Format your phone's SD card to FAT32 mode:
> Hook your phone up to your computer using a USB cable and then wait
> for the notification to show up in your title bar of your phone. Click
> the notification, and then click "Mount". A new removable disk should
> show up on your computer. Right click it and select Format, and select
> FAT32 as the file system type.
> """
>
> Would Linux users also have to format the card as FAT32, or is that
> just because Windows does not recognise whatever filesystem is already
> on the card (presumably desktop Linuxes would, as Android is
> Linux-based)?

One of the comments there talks about how it must be the only file and
it must be written right after the file system is formatted. I suspect
whichever code reads the file system implements a VERY simple
implementation of FAT32...

In any case, it's usually much more useful to have FAT32 on these
cards since then you can stick them everywhere (e.g. camera, other
phones, printer, TV set, DVD) and just use them (lack of experience
rooting Android phones not withstanding).

--Amos