Setting permanent routes on Debian

eliyahu cohen eliyahu.cohen1 at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 26 17:28:46 IST 2010

I want to set a permanent route on my Debian box. Initially I ran the following from the command line:

route add -host x.x.x.x gw 10.0.1.1 dev eth0:1

but when I try to make it permanent by adding the following to /etc/network/interfaces I get a 'Failed to bring up eth0.' when restarting the network.

up route add -host x.x.x.x gw 10.0.1.1 dev eth0:1

I've googled around and haven't found any syntax that works. I could just add this to rc.local, but I'm sure there's a better way. Can someone point me to a working example of setting permanent routes in Debian?

Thanks,

Eli