Linux has won!

Nadav Har'El nyh at math.technion.ac.il
Sun Apr 10 10:37:38 IDT 2011

A week ago I wrote here my belief that

On Sun, Apr 03, 2011, Nadav Har'El wrote about "Linux has won!":
>..
> We're so used to thinking that Linux is a
> niche OS that only 1% of the people use at home, that we (or at least I)
> missed the fact that this changed! Over the last few years, suddenly that is
> no longer true: Today there are probably more copies of Linux than Windows
> running in people's homes!
>..

Interestingly, exactly two days later, someone from the "Linux Foundation"
made a very similar observation - that Linux has won, and Microsoft is no
longer relevant - except in one rather small segment of the market (the
"traditional desktop" market):

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2011/040511-linux-vs-microsoft.html?page=1

While this guy thinks that Linux has beaten Microsoft, he does think it still
has a significant rival in Apple. I tend to disagree - I believe that in a
decade, Apple will be just as irrelevant as Microsoft, if not more.

--
Nadav Har'El                        |        Sunday, Apr 10 2011, 6 Nisan 5771