next smartphone thoughts

Erez D erez0001 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 28 11:05:56 IDT 2011

On Sat, Aug 27, 2011 at 11:42 PM, Udi Finkelstein <Linux-IL at udif.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 5:13 PM, Michael Vasiliev <mycroft at yandex.ru>wrote:
>
>> On 08/26/2011 02:10 PM, Erez D wrote:
>>

>> > 5. meego (N9) - though about it, but once bitten from nokia - twice
>> > shy. nokia does not even say they expect to continue with meego
>> Not on the market yet.^W^W^W^W^WJust announced, ergo buggy. NO KEYBOARD.
>> Say you've bricked your phone or locked it down. How are you going to
>> bring it back without a keyboard? Personally, I don't like either wiping
>>
> I don't see how having or not having a keyboard has anything to do with
> being able to revive a bricked unit.
> The SheevaPlug has no keyboard, yet it's mini-USB connection that can drive
> a JTAG chain to reprogram the internal flash regardless of the unit state.
>
> off fingerprints or when a on-screen keyboard obscures the most of,
>> already scarce, available surface. So, it's an option, as long as the
>> company would like to open its chest of secrets. However, I would
>> strongly consider the silently announced "brother phone" N950 instead if
>> I were you.
>
> The N950 is not available for sale.
> There were 250 units available on a long-term loan to qualified developers,
> and then 100 more were made available on the same requirements via
> maemo.org or meego.org or something like that.
> You just can't buy it.
> And even if you could, it's software would probably be in a worse state
> than the N900's.
>
> Personally, I have an N900 and I don't see anything that can replace it at
> the moment.
> I just hope that eventually we would see Meego on someone's phone.
> If it would break down I would look for a 2nd hand one.
>
> I love my N900, i am not replacing it yet, as i see no candidate yet.
however, The screen is too small for me. I guess i can find a way to make
the font bigger, but currently the numbers in the addressbook  are in a too
small of a font so i can't see them. I am in the denial stage so i do not
carry reading glasses with me yet.

Other issues with the N900 - i am missing new simple applications like a
good roadmap gps app, PTT app, and other, which i installed in my wife's
android. i saw xmltvm and alian-dalvik which i thought would give me the
option of running android apps on the N900 (or any other linux), i even gave
a try of trying to help in development. but i guess it is too far from being
workable so i would need to practically do most of it myself.

and the N900 is getting older technology wise - no multitouch, small
display, old processor, no hdmi etc...
sooner or later i will probably use my n900 as a server for somtehing (DMZ
server, webcam, etc...). and need to get something new

so if not now, the same question will pop up later ...

Udi