next smartphone thoughts

Dov Grobgeld dov.grobgeld at gmail.com
Sun Aug 28 15:33:27 IDT 2011

Regarding fonts, see:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=38541

Generally about the n900, I can only say me too. I love the phone and its
posix/X11 environment, but I also realize that it is getting rusty. The two
major things that are bothering me is that it is sometimes too busy swapping
or whatever so that it cannot prioritize an incoming phone conversation, and
I therefore miss the call. The second problem is the battery life that makes
the battery go dead during a day if you do anything more advanced with it
than you can do with a 150 NIS Nokia phone.

I too, have no idea where to go next. My wife just got a Galaxy S2 which is
beautiful as far as hardware is concerned (though it lacks a keyboard). I
played with the android SDK, which I didn't like very much. I wish I could
get a shell and an X-server on it! I thought about getting the N9 but of
course it is a dead horse already before it left its tracks. Still, it might
be the strongest hardware for free development in the foreseeable future.

Dov