openvpn and multiple host to host like configuration

shimi linux-il at shimi.net
Tue Feb 22 13:07:00 IST 2011

2011/2/22 ik <idokan at gmail.com>

> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to configure openvpn to be a host to host like configuration.
> The reason is simple, because I want to have access to the machine that is
> the "server".
> The problem is, that I have many "clients" that need to be like that.
>
> How can I have a host to host like approach but with multiple "client"
> hosts ?
>
> My current "server" side configuration is:
> --------------------------
> dev tun
> ifconfig 172.16.8.1 172.16.8.2
> secret /etc/openvpn/static.key
> comp-lzo
> keepalive 10 60
> ping-timer-rem
> persist-tun
> persist-key
> user nobody
> group nobody
> daemon
> ----------------------------
>
> And my "client" settings is:
> -----------------------------
> remote xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
> dev tun
> ifconfig 172.16.8.2 172.16.8.1
> secret /etc/openvpn/static.key
> comp-lzo
> keepalive 10 60
> ping-timer-rem
> persist-tun
> persist-key
> user nobody
> group nobody
> daemon
> -----------------------------

From
http://openvpn.net/index.php/open-source/documentation/howto.html#server :

*# Configure server mode and supply a VPN subnet
# for OpenVPN to draw client addresses from.
# The server will take 10.8.0.1 for itself,
# the rest will be made available to clients.
# Each client will be able to reach the server

# on 10.8.0.1. Comment this line out if you are
# ethernet bridging. See the man page for more info.
server 10.8.0.0 255.255.255.0*

You build a normal server to clients; You just don't push out routes as one
would normally do in a VPN server...

-- Shimi