Android phones

Diego Iastrubni elcuco at kde.org
Fri Feb 25 10:48:08 IST 2011

On יום חמישי 24 פברואר 2011 22:46:54 Shachar Shemesh wrote:
> On 24/02/11 08:42, Diego Iastrubni wrote:
> > Can  you explain how those "roms" are done? What does does it mean
> > "binary patching"? Points to FMs are OK, search terms are OK as well.
>
> FMs?
Fabolous manuals of course.

> There is an open source version of Android. If you own a recent enough
> development phone, you can use the standard Android Open Source Project
> (AOSP) to compile a system image and flash it to your phone. It will
> download a few proprietary user-mode drivers from your phone, but will
> otherwise be completely open source. It will not, of course, contain any
> of Google's proprietary additions (no Market, Maps, Gmail etc.)
> Alternatively, there is a fork of Android called "CyanogenMod", which
> brings the latest version of Android to just about any Android phone
> (and some non-Android phones) in the market, provided you manage to root
> the phone so you can load it. Again, some of the drivers would be
> proprietary.
Wait. The market is not open source? No re-implementation?

Does anyone know how does the GalaxyS stand from this poit of view? How much
closed source propietary drivers does this phone need..?

(just for us to remember - http://geekz.co.uk/lovesraymond/archive/linux-
doomsday )

> If you are importing your own phone to Israel, you have two options. You
> can either install CyanogenMod on it, and lose all of your phone's
> unique attributes, or you can try to add proper BiDi support by patching
> the binary.

The interresting question is how much the standard ROMs have hebrew support
compared to the local ROMs we see in the field.