What to tell 13 year old kids about Linux and Open Source?

Mordecha Behar mordecha.behar at mail.huji.ac.il
Mon Jan 10 12:09:02 IST 2011

Another thing I just thought of.
As has been correctly pointed out, kids this age are nearly always
end-users.
So why not point out the end user experience of Linux? Lots of eye-candy,
stability, not needing to reboot every time you install a program, the
simplicity of finding and installing programs (package managers), great
runtime on old hardware...
In fact, that might be a nice class or group project for them to do,
resurrect an old defunct computer and install Linux on it.
מחשב לכל ילד is a nice program, but we all know that they lack funds. How
cool would it be for this class to have an entire bank of computers that
people have thrown out and work perfectly well? Half of the computers in my
house are +6 years old and run Linux. Why not the classrooms?