OT: Re: JOBSEEK- Adopt a Programmer

geoffrey mendelson geoffreymendelson at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 14:03:20 IST 2011

On Jan 13, 2011, at 1:16 PM, Justin wrote:

> Do you have room in your software company to adopt a good programmer?
>
> We found this hacker wandering around without tags in large
> enterprise company. He had been abused for some time but is still
> able to produce code, and quite lovable.

I'm posting this to the list so that anyone else who reads it in the
future will see it.

IMHO you made a big mistake in posting under the same name you use for
your comments on mailing lists. Some of them go back to 2002 (has
gmail been around that long?) and they do not paint a picture of
someone who would do well in small Israeli startup.

They may have been relevant at the time or pithy, or just plain cute.
Now taken together, which is probably way out of context, they don't
do you justice.

If you want to find a job, make sure a resume that says what you want
it to say is linked to in the email, and comes up near the top when
someone "googles" you. Plumbing problems, or a new business idea that
flopped, and so on, are not going to make you attractive to a
prospective employer.

One email friend of mine, who spent the last 15-20 years making "wise-
ass" comments on mailing lists and newsgroups found that they
prevented him from getting a single call back when looking for a job.
So he opened a new blog, dropped the old email address, blogs everyday
and tweets several times a day, on various topics. If you google him
now, you find that he is a good worker, smart, friendly, a nice family
man and a team player.

It gets him interviews and jobs.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson,  N3OWJ/4X1GM
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to misquote it.