hebrew utf8 tex examples

Oleg Goldshmidt pub at goldshmidt.org
Thu Jul 14 01:26:07 IDT 2011

Avraham Rosenberg <for.avraham at gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>    From time to time I try to use new -or newly forgotten- features in
> latex. While it is, generally, easy to find information, including examples
> of tex files for the European languages, it is much harder to find such
> examples in Hebrew.
>    My current query is "what is the equivalent, for the Hebrew part of the
> text for the \renewcommand{\rmdefault}{...}, which changes the
> default text family for the whole document". Tying to use it, as
> such, for a document containing both English and Hebrew, it affected
> only the English text. Apparently, one needs an additional command
> for the Hebrew text, but I was unable to find it.

Disaimer: I rarely write Hebrew docs and last time I did this in LaTeX
was quite a while ago, so whatever I write below is guesswork at best.

Sanity check: do you specify font encoding for the whole document,
e.g., with

\usepackage[T1]{fontspec}

or similar? LaTeX's default encoding is 7-bit, so you need to
expand that to work with non-basic symbols and fonts. You may also
need to \renewcommand{\rmdefault} for different fonts.

The documentation of the fontspec package,

http://mirror.ctan.org/macros/latex/contrib/fontspec/fontspec.pdf

may put you on the right track, eventually.

There is also more information on dealing with various weird symbols
than you are likely to need in

http://mirror.math.ku.edu/tex-archive/info/symbols/comprehensive/symbols-a4.pdf

but it does not necessarily contain an answer to your exact question.

Another thing to try: it may be easier with xetex but I have
practically no experience with it.

>    I would appreciate an advice, as well as a hint as where one can
> consult source (tex) files in Hebrew, or mixed languages.

My natural first stop would be tex-fonts-hebrew RPM. I do not
know what the corresponding Debian/Ubuntu/whatever package is called.

Oleg Goldshmidt | pub at goldshmidt.org