How to say "reference implementation"?

shimi linux-il at shimi.net
Mon Mar 14 10:30:32 IST 2011

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 10:21 AM, Shlomi Fish <shlomif at iglu.org.il> wrote:

> On Monday 14 Mar 2011 10:10:50 shimi wrote:
> > On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 11:37 AM, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > > How does one say "reference implementation" in Hebrew? Thanks.
> > >
> > > Bunos points: what Hegrw-language slashdot-type websites should I be
> > > reading regularly to be exposed to such terms?
> >
> > It appears that the Hebrew wording would be MIMUSH YAATS (מימוש יעץ).
> >
> > I seriously doubt anybody would do nothing else than open huge eyes if
> they
> > hear these words. I would stick with "REFERENCE MIMUSH" for the sake of
> > your audience. "Reference" is a common Hebrew "word" ... :)
> >

> It should be "MIMUSH REFERENCE" (מימוש רפרנס)- not "REFERENCE MIMUSH"
> (רפרנס
> מימוש) as the order of the words in Hebrew is reversed.
>
> I had similar qualms about the Hebrew translators of Harry Potter calling
> "mudblood" "BOC-DAM" (בוץ-דם) instead of "DAM-BOC" (דם-בוץ).

The difference is that your HP translations are of the full term, from full
English, to full Hebrew. While in our case it is 50-50. I am not sure the
rules apply in our case, however I am not a linguist... I am not sure what
"sounds better". To be honest, at first I wrote it your way, and only then
decided to reverse the order...

But let's let Dotan decide, unless Ruvik Rosenthal is by any chance a member
of this group ;)

-- Shimi