how do you handle (un)supported linux distributions?

Gabor Szabo szabgab at gmail.com
Wed May 18 12:00:13 IDT 2011

Hi,

On my desktop I run Ubuntu. I keep upgrading it to the latest version,
usually a few weeks after it was officially released.
On my server I run Ubuntu 8.04 LTS and I don't plan to upgrade it.
When time comes I will rent a new server, put the new version of
Ubuntu LTS on it and move all of my services there.

When I look at my clients - they tend to run RHEL, Suse or even CentOS a
lot more often than Ubuntu. Also they usually stick to older versions.
Even on the desktop.
In many cases they run unsupported versions of the OS.

I assume most of the people here also keep their desktops upgraded but
I wonder how do you manage your own servers and what happens at your
workplace/clients?

regards
   Gabor

--