how do you handle (un)supported linux distributions?

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Wed May 18 17:40:02 IDT 2011

On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 12:00, Gabor Szabo <szabgab at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On my desktop I run Ubuntu. I keep upgrading it to the latest version,
> usually a few weeks after it was officially released.
> On my server I run Ubuntu 8.04 LTS and I don't plan to upgrade it.
> When time comes I will rent a new server, put the new version of
> Ubuntu LTS on it and move all of my services there.
>
> When I look at my clients - they tend to run RHEL, Suse or even CentOS a
> lot more often than Ubuntu. Also they usually stick to older versions.
> Even on the desktop.
> In many cases they run unsupported versions of the OS.
>
> I assume most of the people here also keep their desktops upgraded but
> I wonder how do you manage your own servers and what happens at your
> workplace/clients?
>
> regards
>   Gabor

For a desktop you can run an unsupported OS, such as an old Fedora.
But for a server, use only a supported OS. Server operating systems
generally are supported for five to nine years. Just look at RHEL,
version 4.9 was released shortly after 6.0 and 5.6. That's a lot of
support.

Why do you resist upgrading the Ubuntu server?

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com