[OFFTOPIC] Finding the next lucrative niche

Shachar Shemesh shachar at shemesh.biz
Mon Nov 14 16:06:20 IST 2011

On 11/14/2011 03:45 PM, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> I can vouch for this. I am not a CS major and I consider myself a
> Linux amateur, but I have worked supporting various Linux servers for
> locals. Of course, I was making nowhere near the level of income that
> Shahar discusses on his blog, experience wins hands-down in that
> department.
Here's an important point. It is okay to claim that I'm charging too
much, or that my salary expectations are too high. There is no law that
says that software guys are entitled to high salary ranges.

Except

I had no problem at all in getting similar salary ranges as an employee.
This means that, as far as market worth is concerned, I was not
overcharging. I was asking for a reasonable (in its supply and demand
meaning) compensation for my expertise and know-how.

Now, obviously, the market is not willing to pay those numbers to
consultants, which means that I moved on to being an employee. What I'm
wondering, however, is whether this is truly because people of my
experience level (in terms of salary as employee) are of not enough
demand, or whether (as I've been implying) there is some form of market
failure at play here.

Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh