looking for an embedded linux hw.

Erez D erez0001 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 09:40:23 IST 2011

On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 3:49 PM, Udi Finkelstein <Linux-IL at udif.com> wrote:

> If you want to simply add a high-speed connection, you may be better off
> with an FTDI chip attached to the USB connection.
> I don't know how fast the FT232RL is, but the FT232H has a parallel
> interface that is certainly fast enough to get all the USB2 bandwidth.
>
> Thanks,
That may be a good option.

btw,
I had some bad experiance with usb relibility.It could have been bacause of
the ubuntu linux kernel driver, or because of the hub, but after some time
the usb devices were unresponsive and i had to disconnect-reconnect to make
them work again.
I tried different OS (centos) + different hub. it fixed the problem, so i
guess a certain system (ubuntu specific version) had a problem with a
specific hub.
still i do not know what kernet version i am running on the target, and how
stable it is with the specific chip. and because i want MTBF of months or
even years, i am not sure this is the best solution.

however it is tempting ...

anyway, for other uses, i love this chip. solves me the headache of how to
connect simple hardware to be controlled by a pc.
I will surely use it in other applications.

> http://www.ftdichip.com/FTProducts.htm
>
> For prototyping:
>
> FR232RL chip - $3 including shipping
>
> http://www.ebay.com/itm/IC-FT232RL-FTDI-SSOP-28-/260810572949?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cb9858495
>
> FT232RL based complete module - $10 incl. shipping
>
> http://www.ebay.com/itm/Arduino-FT232RL-USB-6Pin-Serial-Port-Download-Cable-/180720938343?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a13cead67
>
> FT232H eval module ($20 not including shipping)
> http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts/2398630-mod-usb-hs-ft232h-eval-um232h.html
>
> Udi
>
> thanks for the thorough work.

erez.