[YBA] Lenovo z580 BISO setup horror story

Jonathan Ben Avraham yba at tkos.co.il
Sun Aug 19 22:37:24 IDT 2012

Dear Colleagues,
I recently purchased a Lenovo Z580 Ideapad from Macsanei Hashmal.

I replaced the 750GB HD with a 240GB SSD and installed Squeeze. The
installation succeeded but I was unable to log out - had to hold power
button to force off.

Same story with Wheezy.

Installed Ubuntu 12.04. Seemed to work fine but I am too old to deal wuth
Unity, so I installed Mint Xfce.

After installing Mint I am not able to get into the BIOS setup menu no
matter what I press, either the main power key or the "recovery" key,
whether F2 or F12, I always get to a limited boot menu that is not
editable.

If I connect an ethernet cable, it tries to PXE, then TFTP boot until I
press escape - not so secure.

Can't find the CMOS battery if there is one and can't find service
documentation that would tell me where it is.

Re-installed the original 750GB HD and booted into Windows 7 Home Edition.
Downloaded new BIOS from support.lenovo.com but it wont install.

I guess I should have purchased ASUS.

  - yba

--
  EE 77 7F 30 4A 64 2E C5  83 5F E7 49 A6 82 29 BA    ~. .~   Tk Open Systems
      - yba at tkos.co.il - tel: +972.2.679.5364, http://www.tkos.co.il -