A funny thing happend to me tonight.

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Sun Dec 30 11:57:47 IST 2012

On Sun, Dec 30, 2012 at 11:51 AM, Geoffrey S. Mendelson
<geoffreymendelson at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dotan Cohen wrote:
>

>> Please report that bug, Geoff:
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+filebug/?no-redirect
>

> It's already been reported. That's how I found out that it existed. I don't
> think I can document it with any useful information except that it worked on
> Wednesday and was dead on Saturday. Since I no longer have that system, I
> restored to a Friday backup, I can't look for anything.

I hope that you at lest clicked the Launchpad.net button for "Also
affects me" as I do know that Canonical takes that seriously.

>> I don't see how it is relevant. I didn't ask anyone to sell me a
>> computer running Linux that will never have any userspace software
>> issues. I asked a company which sells computer components which
>> motherboard has components that are currently compatible with
>> commonly-available Linux distros.
>>

> It's relevant IMHO because it goes against conventional wisdom. If you tried
> a live CD, if you did an install on one system, if you looked at the
> Hardware Compatibility Lists, if you just looked up the driver status of
> every bit of hardware on the computer, if you had rolled twelve sided dice
> and accepted anything above 7 on each of them, it would have been ok, but
> failed miserably if you installed them this morning.
>
> I'm not even sure it is a userspace issue. Before I gave up and went back to
> my working backup, I tried KDE. I got effectively the same results. I may of
> had something misconfigured at that point, but I can't tell anymore.
>
> I'm not trying to make this a personal attack, and apologize if you were or
> are offended in any way. I seriously do not think it is possible for a
> computer vendor, even the size of Ivory, to warrant that a computer you buy
> will run Linux.
>
> Ironicaly, I did buy the laptop in question from Ivory, almost 4 years ago
> to the day. In that time it has run Linux, Windows, BSD, occasionaly all at
> the same time.  Although I have had to live with lots of "features" of
> UBUNTU, until last night it never failed to run.

I'm not offended, Geoff! I actually find your opinion very pragmatic
even if I disagree. Now, if you tell me that my children are ugly and
my dog is disobedient, I will be very much offended indeed!

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com