Preparing to convince to shift to non-propriety documents formats

Nadav Har'El nyh at math.technion.ac.il
Sun Feb 5 08:52:27 IST 2012

On Sun, Feb 05, 2012, Ori Idan wrote about "Re: Preparing to convince to shift to non-propriety documents formats":
> Another point to notice is that there is no such format as MS word format.
> Each version has a different format and sometimes one can not open the
> documents that was sent to him in this format.
> I have seen many cases where OpenOffice opened files that people who had a
> version of MS-word could not open.

Be careful not to rely on arguments that can easily be refuted...

I saw someone with an old version of MS-Word receive a newer ("docx")
document. His Word popped up a message saying something like "This document
comes from a newer version of Word, you need to download a converter for
this format". He clicked "OK", and in a couple of minutes he was able to
read this document, and see it just like Microsoft intended.

I tried to read the same document on my OpenOffice, and it was kind of
visible, I guess, but it was quite far from what the document was
intended to look like :(

--
Nadav Har'El                        |                     Sunday, Feb 5 2012,