vim mappings for Hebrew

Nadav Har'El nyh at math.technion.ac.il
Wed Feb 15 09:57:18 IST 2012

On Wed, Feb 15, 2012, Avraham Rosenberg wrote about "Re: vim mappings for Hebrew":
> the difference between them...In general, I would like to know where from
> you got this wealth of information about the editor. Can you recommend some
> book?

Vim has a very extensive user guide. In the old days, when I actually
used to compile the free software which I was using (and vim in
particular exists since 1991, before Linux distributions existed), I
would print out each program's user guide, and use free time like bus
rides to read these manuals, cover to cover.

Nowdays, with Linux distributions, it's so easy to just run "vim" and
not even be aware that it has a user guide. But it still does. You can
also get reference information from inside vim: if you run vim and type
":help hebrew", you'll get an explanation on the hebrew features which
were mentioned here, and ":help map" will get you help on the
mapping-related ocmmands (map, map!, cmap etc.) which were mentioned.
But of course, if you'd never read the whole thing cover to cover, in
many cases you wouldn't even know what to search for. Who'd have thought
that Vim has Hebrew-specific support at all?

> ....I guess Nadav left the mappings concerning iso8859-8 encoded files in
> his .vimrc, from the old days. Nowadays it makes more sense to iconv any
> occasional iso8859 file to utf8...

Indeed, everybody in their right mind doesn't use iso-8859-8 like I
still do... Thompson and Pike were added UTF-8 to plan 9 in 1992 - it's about
time I start using it too :-)

--
Nadav Har'El                        |                 Wednesday, Feb 15 2012,