Preparing to convince to shift to non-propriety documents formats

Oleg Goldshmidt pub at goldshmidt.org
Tue Feb 21 00:06:16 IST 2012

I don't normally rely on Wikipedia being an authoritative source, but this
article

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Open_Specification_Promise

seems to have links that you might want to visit if you are really
interested (disclaimer: I am not really interested, so I didn't do any
further research), in particular regarding FLOSS/GPL/whatever
compatibility. Interestingly, MS-OSP seems to be a patent license.

After a very cursory glance it seems that it covers older formats (doc,
ppt, etc., rather than docx, pptx, and so on), and one should indeed be
careful. The way I read it is that if all you want to do is create an
editor that uses the Word format it's OK, but if you want to use the
technology for something else then you may get sued. Where the line is is
absolutely unclear to me.

IANAL.

--
Oleg Goldshmidt | pub at goldshmidt.org <oleg at goldshmidt.org>