How to build LAN drivers with no internet access

Udi Finkelstein Linux-IL at udif.com
Tue Jul 3 15:12:20 IDT 2012

On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 2:41 PM, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 6:22 AM, Baruch Siach <baruch at tkos.co.il> wrote:
> > So how did you solve it eventually?
> >

> First I installed the updated kernel, then set a static IP address and
> the default gateway. DNS wouldn't work until I renewed the DHCP lease
> even though I have a static IP address. Stupid, but it works.

Stupid? Why? You didn't have to set a static IP address in the first place.
I think that if you have renewed you DHCP lease first, it would have done
all 3 automatically (IP, default gateway, DNS).
All this information is part of the DHCP response and there is no way to
get it.
(In a typical broadband setup, your router gets the DNS setting from the
provider, and you get it from your router via DHCP).

Udi