How to build LAN drivers with no internet access

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 21:13:59 IDT 2012

On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 3:12 PM, Udi Finkelstein <Linux-IL at udif.com> wrote:
> Stupid? Why? You didn't have to set a static IP address in the first place.
> I think that if you have renewed you DHCP lease first, it would have done
> all 3 automatically (IP, default gateway, DNS).

You would think! Alas, that did not help.

> All this information is part of the DHCP response and there is no way to get
> it.
> (In a typical broadband setup, your router gets the DNS setting from the
> provider, and you get it from your router via DHCP).

Right, but for some reason neither in Kubuntu nor openSuse was DHCP
working for this computer, even though the router is configured
properly. If you are in the Be'er Sheva area I'll gladly format a
partition and let you explore, but this was a real problem.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com