Fixing problem with new kernel

Steve G. wordz2u at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 18:47:05 IST 2012

I upgraded to the latest kernel (on Ubuntu, 3.0.0.17), and ran into
problems. The computer never got into graphic mode, and the screen got
stuck on part of the initialization process.

The computer was running, and was reachable from another machine by ssh,
but I could not run it from the keyboard and screen attached to it.

To resolve it, I edited /etc/default/grub and
changed #GRUB_TIMEOUT=10 to GRUB_TIMEOUT=-1, which allows me to select an
older kernel. I suspect the problem is with the Nvidia driver for my
graphic card, but I am not sure.

Questions:

1. How do I isolate the problem?

2. How do I repair it once I do (I know it depends on the problem, so there
may not be an answer yet, but then again, maybe there is a mechanism to
edit the boot process as a way to troubleshoot).

3. Why does my computer works fine with 3.0.0.16, but not 3.0.0.17?

Thanks,

Z.