Fixing problem with new kernel

Oleg Goldshmidt pub at goldshmidt.org
Wed Mar 28 20:31:49 IST 2012

2012/3/28 Steve G. <wordz2u at gmail.com>

> I upgraded to the latest kernel (on Ubuntu, 3.0.0.17), and ran into
> problems. The computer never got into graphic mode, and the screen got
> stuck on part of the initialization process.
>
> The computer was running, and was reachable from another machine by ssh,
> but I could not run it from the keyboard and screen attached to it.
>
> To resolve it, I edited /etc/default/grub and
> changed #GRUB_TIMEOUT=10 to GRUB_TIMEOUT=-1, which allows me to select an
> older kernel. I suspect the problem is with the Nvidia driver for my
> graphic card, but I am not sure.

Wild guess: download nvidia's driver from their website and compile it for
the new kernel? It's pretty easy once you've read their docs.

I do not know if Ubuntu package the driver or how well they track
dependencies. Note that nvidia drivers are not GPL-licensed, so the distro
itself may not provide it easily. This does not mean that it is not
available as a package - hopefully some Ubuntu user here points you to the
right place and saves you a compilation. If not - Google.

I reiterate: the above is a wild guess.

One other idea - switch inittab to runlevel 3 (without graphics) and try
booting the old kernel - if it boots fine then the problem *is*, most
likely, your video driver.

--
Oleg Goldshmidt | pub at goldshmidt.org <oleg at goldshmidt.org>