Android phone question

shimi linux-il at shimi.net
Mon Nov 12 23:59:26 IST 2012

On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 11:30 PM, Steve G. <wordz2u at gmail.com> wrote:

> I hear Samsung Galaxy 2 is good, but I don't know if it has a GPS or
> whether programming for it is the same as for the later models (can it take
> the latest dessert-OS from Google?) - any better suggestions?

SGS2 is upgraded by the manufacturer themselves to 4.0.x, which is pretty
modern (depending who you ask :)). You can of course run your own firmware
at your own risk (i.e. cyanogenmod).

Of course it has GPS. Up not until a while ago, it probably was the
best-spec phone you could get... :) (IMHO, and including Apple's white
bricks)

> Any recommended calling plan (remember, the 054 number probably limits me
> to Orange)? Any way to do it without breaking the bank?

For a few years now, Israel has Number Portability. You don't have to stick
with Orange. You can go to whichever company you want, as long as your line
is not a pre-paid one (and if it is, you can convert it to a non pre-paid
one for last one time fee for your current provider, and then port your
number to a cheaper/better provider). The cheap ones nowdays are Golan, Hot
Mobile, YouPhone and Rami Levi, all depending on your usage patterns. (e.g.
if you SMS a lot but talk a little, Golan is probably best. If you talk a
lot, SMS a little, Hot would be cheaper. And if you do both [or use tons of
3G], one of the 'unlimited' offers of any one of them... would be better).

HTH,

-- Shimi