Android phone question

shimi linux-il at shimi.net
Tue Nov 13 07:20:01 IST 2012

On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 6:59 AM, Steve G. <wordz2u at gmail.com> wrote:

> If I want to play with programming the phone - installing an app, not
> changing the OS - do I risk bricking the phone, or is there a sandbox for
> dummies to play with? Do I need a special toolkit?

You can create your own APK with whatever way you see fit (there are SDK's,
automatic app generators, and what not, a simply Google search will find
them all for you) - and then you have two options:

1. Create a Google Play account (one time fee), upload your app to the
Google Play store, and then install it just like any other app on any phone
2. Set the phone to accept ANY package, and then simply put it on some
server (or upload it to the phone), and browse to it. It is advisable [at
least by me] to turn off that feature once your app has been installed, to
avoid installing other apps from the net by mistake...

There are also Android emulators that you could run on your own PC to test
apps prior to uploading them to the phone.

Android has a permissions system - if you didn't ask for a permission to do
something in the manifest, the app won't be able to do it. Those can be
very specific. For example, if you don't allow access to storage - your app
can't touch the storage (at least allegedly ;)). When you install an app,
the phone prompts you which privileges it wants, and you may decided
whether you want to install that app or not. (the dangerous combinations
are 'full internet access' with 'access to personal stuff' such as USB
Storage or Contacts List. also "services that cost you money" if you don't
have an unlimited package, or you do, but your line is open to premium
services or int'l calling...)

HTH,

-- Shimi