anybody knows of a mifi i can run linux on ?

Jason Friedman write.to.jason at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 17:48:58 IST 2012

Hi Erez,

Your original email was pretty vague:

> I am looking for a Mifi (i.e. cellular wifi) router which i can run linux
on.

So I'm not sure why you are surprised with the responses. I interpreted
that as you wanting something relatively small that runs linux and can
connect to cellular networks. You might want to be a little more specific
with what you want if you want more specific responses.

Here is another suggestion (again, it depends on why you want to run linux
on it). Get a cheap android phone. It runs linux (sort of) and can act as a
router.

Hope that helps :)

Jason

On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 5:28 PM, Erez D <erez0001 at gmail.com> wrote:

> A real story:
>
>  In the Palestinian zoo, they didn't have a zebra, and they wanted one,
> So they took a donkey, and drew stripes on it with paint.
>

> Why am i telling this story,
> because i wanted a MIFI, and i got 10 replies telling me to take  a
> wireless router and add a 3g dongle.
> and that reminded me about the donkey with painted stripes.
>
> no offense but,
> maybe this is because people are too eager to help
> but a wireless router is not built with small size, low battery
> consumption and many other consideration a mifi does.
> do you thing i can sell a "wireless router + 3g dongle + battery" as a
> product ? people will laugh at me and i will be out of business.
>
> so thanks for your help, but if you know of a MIFI I can put some kind of
> Linux on, please let me know
>
> Thanks
> Erez
>
> (and again, no offense meant)