Possible Solution for Frequent Keyboard Hangups in KDE.

Nadav Har'El nyh at math.technion.ac.il
Sun Sep 16 11:42:36 IDT 2012

On Sun, Sep 16, 2012, Oleg Goldshmidt wrote about "Re: Possible Solution for Frequent Keyboard Hangups in KDE.":
> I have never experienced this bug (on Fedora or RHEL), probably for
> one of two reasons:
>
> 1) I don't enable - or install - the disabilities-related
> functionality (this does not mean that related bugs should not be
> fixed, of course...)

I also never intentially installed or enabled any disability related
functionality. The problem is that the "modern" philosophy shared by
GNOME/KDE/Fedora/Ubuntu is that they don't really care what the user
wants to configure. The user is stupid, so the OS should control him,
not the other way around. If it worked for MS-Windows and Apple iOS,
why wouldn't it work for them? :(

> 2) I use KDE rather than GNOME. The default login manager remains GDM
> though unless you do
>
> # cat > /etc/sysconfig/desktop
> DISPLAYMANAGER=KDE

So did you actually do that?

I not only *not* use Gnome, I also don't use KDE (I use a completely
home-brewed environment based on the archaic^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hclassic window
manager "ctwm"). But I was still using GDM for the login, so its bug
of leaving the "accessx" mode enabled still effected me.

Try pressing the (left?) shift for more than 10 seconds, and see if you
really don't have this bug, or you were just lucky enough never to press
the shift key for so long. Like I said, this happened to just once every
few days - it's not a very common occurance.

> - check /etc/X11/prefdm to see what it does. Of course you can use KDM
> for login and still run GNOME as your desktop, maybe it helps with
> this particular problem (if the culprit is GDM).

Right, although I have no quibbles with GDM, I just wish they fixed its
accessx bit (and once I found that running "xkbset -a" removes this bit,
I no longer personally care if this bug exists).

Anyway, like I said, while GDM was the cause of the bug for me, I
understood that other people see a similar bug caused by other sources.

--
Nadav Har'El                        |        Sunday, Sep 16 2012, 29 Elul 5772