Possible Solution for Frequent Keyboard Hangups in KDE.

Oleg Goldshmidt pub at goldshmidt.org
Sun Sep 16 17:29:38 IDT 2012

"Nadav Har'El" <nyh at math.technion.ac.il> writes:

> I also never intentially installed or enabled any disability related
> functionality. The problem is that the "modern" philosophy shared by
> GNOME/KDE/Fedora/Ubuntu is that they don't really care what the user
> wants to configure.

I guess I am lucky because for a variety of reasons that are not worth
going into none of the default installation options fits my needs so I
always choose "custom" and pick what I install. I wasn't even aware of
this problem before this thread.

>> # cat > /etc/sysconfig/desktop
>> DISPLAYMANAGER=KDE
>
> So did you actually do that?

Yes. Always. For a completely unrelated reason though. I only
mentioned that because you seemed to imply that the bug was in GDM,
which is the default login manager.

> Try pressing the (left?) shift for more than 10 seconds, and see if you
> really don't have this bug,

No, thanks, not before I actually find this xkbset thingy: "yum
whatprovides */xkbset" returns no matches.

> or you were just lucky enough never to press the shift key for so
> long.

Possibly. Stories abound of fun stuff happening when a notebook is
accidentally left on a keyboard... ;-)

Shana Tova to all!

Oleg Goldshmidt | pub at goldshmidt.org