[YBA] High-end DSL modem

geoffrey mendelson geoffreymendelson at gmail.com
Sun Dec 8 11:07:02 IST 2013

On 12/8/2013 9:18 AM, Michael Tewner wrote:

> This may not be in the spirit of Linux-IL, but I was able to solve a
> lot of DSL annoyances by moving our small office to a Cisco 800-series
> ADSL+WiFi (provided as part of their BizNet service). The router
> performs rock-solid with uptime measure in years (assuming you never
> update it...) and routing works exactly as you'd expect,
> no-nonsense. If you don't have someone on-site with Cisco experience,
> Bezeq will manage it for you as part of the BizNet service (which also
> has faster upload-speed options than otherwise available).
> I'm not saying that this is an equivalent solution to DD-WRT
> (especially as concerning "Free as in Beer/Speech"), but if you have a
> client experiencing networking issues, as one professional to another,
> this may be a possible solution.

I'm surprised you have uptime in years. I expect because you have
BIzNet, they actually take care of you, We poor mortals are stuck with
BEZEQ's upgrade from aDSL-2 to vDSL over the last 2 years or so that has
caused random failures for aDSL-2 customers.

The currently deployed hardware at the end of the fiber is vDSL (20mbps
or higher) and switches to aDSL-2 emulation mode for 15mbps. The problem
is that the aDSL-2 emulation mode is flakey and causes outages every
couple of days.

On top of that most aDSL-2 routers do not flush their NAT tables when
they restart a tunneling session, so the router needs to be restarted.
Around 2009 a fix was added to Linux source code most of these routers
use, so ones with later firmware may or may not have it.

BEZEQ's solution is to upgrade you to 15mbps (the minimum they support
vDSL) and sell you a vDSL router.

As for the original query, I found that using a VPN required some
creativity here. Since we are already tunneling (unless you use HOT and
MPLS), your router will have problems running a tunnel in a tunnel.

In my case I found out that one router would allow me to run only an
L2TP tunnel from a computer on the network, the other would only allow
me to run a PPTP tunnel.

I also ran a router with a tunnel as a client of my main router but
those clients had to be connected to the tunneling router, which meant
they were in a different subnet and could reach my servers, but not the
other way.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson 4X1GM/N3OWJ