Parts of the internet keep on disappearing on me

Shachar Shemesh shachar at shemesh.biz
Tue Jan 22 17:06:11 IST 2013

On 01/22/2013 04:22 PM, Baruch Shpirer wrote:

> Are all vms running same os?

My host machine is Debian Squeeze with kernel from backports. My VM is
an Ubuntu server 12.10 (kernel 3.4, IIRC).

Also, I have some more orderly collected information. All attempts are
for connecting to my own server (han.lingnu.com):

  * DNS resolution works fine
  * Ping works fine
  * Ssh hangs
  * Sniffing shows that a SYN is sent, a SYN-ACK that seems correct is
    received, and my computer sends a RST
  * The same happens to my web connections

Also, when connecting from the VM:

  * When the VM's eth0 is bridged to the host's wlan0, all is working fine.
  * When the VM's eth0 is connect via NAT, the VM cannot connect either
    (didn't check with sniffer, but ping works and ssh hangs)

I tried stopping network-manager, switching off the interface (through
the laptop's switch) and unloading the kernel module for the wifi. I
then re-enabled everything. The problem remained.

My iptables is devoid of rules.

I could not, this time, check whether cabled connection worked in
parallel, as the house was asleep. I'll check next time.

Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh