CLI Ripping (was Blu-Ray and Linux)

E.S. Rosenberg esr+linux-il at g.jct.ac.il
Wed Jul 3 11:37:05 IDT 2013

2013/7/3 vordoo <vordoo at yahoo.com>:
> On 2013-06-27 10:14, Nadav Har'El wrote:
>
> I also ripped all the "legally-bought" CDs and DVDs I had at home (almost a
> 1000 of them, altogether) and now all of it is on the hard disk as well.
>
> I should be doing that too. Will appropriate CLI software recommendations.
>
> I understand there are CLI programs that can get the mp3/FLAC music
> propitiates (artiest, band ...) from the net & the same for moves. I'm just
> starting the google God lookup for automating this task and will be realy
> happy if you, or anyone else, has a quick winner. What did you use,
> regarding file types: i.e. mp3 vs. flac, mp4/mkv/avi or what ever etc...?

If you have the storage room use flac, it's larger then mp3 but it's lossless.
If you want lossy then ogg is also ok (I don't remember which is
better but it could be that ogg even beats mp3)

I tend to like the mkv container, though you still need to choose your
video and audio encoding.
If you have strong hardware you may want to try google's new vp9 or
x269 which supposedly outperform x268 and vp8 by 30%.

I rip my dvds in stages, I extract the soundtrack in the languages I
want (leaving it 5.1 ac3) encode the video stream in x264 using
mencoder, extract the vob subtitles again using mencoder and then add
everything together using mkvtoolnix-gui (I hope I remembered the name
properly).
There may be programs that automate this and I'd be happy to hear about them.

Regards,
Eliyahu - אליהו