CLI Ripping (was Blu-Ray and Linux)

Nadav Har'El nyh at math.technion.ac.il
Wed Jul 3 13:20:59 IDT 2013

On Wed, Jul 03, 2013, vordoo wrote about "CLI Ripping (was Blu-Ray and Linux)":
>       type="cite"> I also ripped all the "legally-bought"
>       CDs and DVDs I had at home (almost a 1000 of them, altogether) and
>       now all
>       of it is on the hard disk as well.<br>

>     I should be doing that too. Will appropriate CLI software
>     recommendations. <br>
>     I understand there are CLI programs that can get the mp3/FLAC music
>     propitiates (artiest, band ...) from the net &amp; the same for
>     moves. I'm just starting the google God lookup for automating this
>     task and will be realy happy if you, or anyone else, has a quick
>     winner. What did you use, regarding file types: i.e. mp3 vs. flac,
>     mp4/mkv/avi or what ever etc...?<br>

For music, I use flac, because it's lossless, so I can always convert it
to mp3 if I want (but not the other way around. The space is not an
issue - with FLAC you can put more than 300 CDs on a measly 100 GB.

I use "cdparanoia" piped to "flac" for ripping my audio CDs. It's very
far from automatic - I don't get the track information from any Internet
database, and I also scan the covers of my CDs, so it took me many
months to rip all my CDs - but since doing that I haven't touched a CD
:-)

For DVDs, I mount the DVD and then "vobcopy -m". The results are "vob"
files, which I keep without transforming into any other format
(mp4/mkv,etc.) because my streamer can easily play them.
The big hassle with DVDs, though, is that especially for children DVDs,
they often contains ads in the beginning or end of the video, and I
want to remove that crap - and I use "dd" for that :-) A nice feature
of the "vob" video format is that it can be cut-and-pasted with "dd"
and "cat" without a problem - it has no headers in the beginning, for
example.

I'm sure other people can suggest more 21st century tools :-)

--
Nadav Har'El                        |    Wednesday, Jul 3 2013, 25 Tammuz 5773