Blu-Ray and Linux

E.S. Rosenberg esr+linux-il at g.jct.ac.il
Wed Jul 3 16:06:40 IDT 2013

2013/7/3 Nadav Har'El <nyh at math.technion.ac.il>:
> On Wed, Jul 03, 2013, Oleg Goldshmidt wrote about "Re: Blu-Ray and Linux":
>> Eh, I think that the problem is copying/sharing. You can record a 10
>> year old Dr. Who but you cannot give out copies of the recording to
>> others. Even if they have had cable TV for 20 yars and *could* have
>> recorded Dr. Who 10 years ago themselves, but didn't.
>
> What moral distinction is there between someone who "did record" and
> someone who "could record but didn't"? Both of them payed for the
> content, both were allowed to watch it when it aired, to record it,
> and to watch the recording again at a later time.
>
> So if one of them *didn't* record, why do they give up the legal right to
> watch the movie later? It's time-shifting par-exellence - I *could*
> watch Dr. Who ten years ago, but I was busy, so I want to watch it now.
>
> Again, I didn't say this was a *tested* legal theory ;-)
>
> And the whole theory "works" (for a flimsy definition of "works") only
> if you pay for cable TV service. If you use bittorrent just because you
> want to skimp out on paying the cable TV bill (leaving the artists and movie
> studios with no income), then you're a pirate :-)
>
> --
> Nadav Har'El                        |    Wednesday, Jul 3 2013, 25 Tammuz 5773
> nyh at math.technion.ac.il             |-----------------------------------------
> Phone +972-523-790466, ICQ 13349191 |Can Microsoft make a product that doesn't
> http://nadav.harel.org.il           |suck? Yes, a vacuum cleaner!

Sorry I didn't have time (and still don't) to really go into this, in
a lot of countries you have the right to record from tv/radio,
duplicate the media you own etc. (known sometimes as the "homecopy" or
similar), you even pay an additional tax levied on blank media,
computers, cell phones and other technological devices capable of
playing audio/video in these countries (and now they want to add
Internet) for the "copyright infringement" that will 'obviously'
happen with said tools.
This extra tax is then supposed to go to the artists, though the
organizations managing these issues have been cautioned multiple times
for failing to make sure this happened in time.

I *don't* know if this is the case in Israel, I do know that jewish
law does *not* recognize copyright and downloading is *not* considered
theft, it is however definitely a moral question, which has lots of
factors that go into it.
Jewish law does frown strongly on plagiarism (statements like "he who
doesn't attribute destroys the world", iirc avot but I may be off by a
lot)

Regards,
Eliyahu - אליהו