Blu-Ray and Linux

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir at cohens.org.il
Wed Jul 3 23:46:01 IDT 2013

On Wed, Jul 03, 2013 at 04:06:40PM +0300, E.S. Rosenberg wrote:

> I *don't* know if this is the case in Israel, I do know that jewish
> law does *not* recognize copyright and downloading is *not* considered
> theft, it is however definitely a moral question, which has lots of
> factors that go into it.
> Jewish law does frown strongly on plagiarism (statements like "he who
> doesn't attribute destroys the world", iirc avot but I may be off by a
> lot)

I don't buy this specific argument: the Jewish law does not allow
reading other people's letters and such without their permission. Do you
really think this has ever stopped any wiretapping?

Also note that this is not plagiarism: Nadav did not attempt to strip
any credit titles from the programs. Nadav's actions would enhance the
reputation of those prgrams by making them more accessible.

(Regardless of any other considerations)

More on attribution:
http://blog.ninapaley.com/2011/06/27/credit-is-due/

--
Tzafrir Cohen         | tzafrir at jabber.org | VIM is