Mobile phone question

Geoffrey S. Mendelson geoffreymendelson at gmail.com
Sat Jul 27 22:57:45 IDT 2013

On 7/27/2013 9:59 PM, E.S. Rosenberg wrote:

> I may be wrong but iirc the US like Israel established the right in
> law of the customer to have his/her phone unlocked/jailbroken without
> that affecting warranty...

I don't think that would apply. The correct way to unlock an iPhone is
to have Apple do it. They push an update to your phone which you install
with iTunes.

Therefore the phone shows up as unlocked in their database, and if it is
not officially unlocked, it has been tampered with, which voids the
warranty.

The places that sell official unlocks buy them from your carrier or
Apple itself.

> Orange and Cellcom (including golan) based companies still support GSM
> (2G), however for a player like golan it is reasonable to expect that
> they will not put up their own 2G network so when/if they get full
> coverage in an area 2G connectivity may very well be lost.

I disagree. I assume that if they ever do put up a network and it is 3g
only, they will continue their current roaming agreement with Cell-Com.

Actually I doubt that they will put up more cells than needed to fulfill
the terms of their license, the Cell-Com deal is too profitable.

HOT had to start from scratch. Although it was marketed as a cellular
network, it was really a MIRS (trunked radio) network and not compatible
with any cell phone.

They ripped it all out, and replaced the Motorola MIRS cells with Nokia
3g cells. That required replacing everything as MIRS was 800mHz, Israeli
3g is 2.1gHz.

But Golan has too sweet a deal, and too many 2g users to abandon them.
So if they put up anything at all, they will IMHO keep 2g, even if it is
roaming onto Cell-Com.

The difference is that HOT and Rami Levi (remarkets Pelephone 3g)
started with no customers and therefore could say, "want our service,
buy a 3g phone", while Golan is actively pushing customers to 2g phones.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson,  N3OWJ/4X1GM/KBUH7245/KBUW5379