Mobile phone question

E.S. Rosenberg esr+linux-il at g.jct.ac.il
Sun Jul 28 00:29:47 IDT 2013

2013/7/27 Geoffrey S. Mendelson <geoffreymendelson at gmail.com>:
> On 7/27/2013 9:59 PM, E.S. Rosenberg wrote:
>
>> I may be wrong but iirc the US like Israel established the right in
>> law of the customer to have his/her phone unlocked/jailbroken without
>> that affecting warranty...
>

> I don't think that would apply. The correct way to unlock an iPhone is to
> have Apple do it. They push an update to your phone which you install with
> iTunes.
>
> Therefore the phone shows up as unlocked in their database, and if it is not
> officially unlocked, it has been tampered with, which voids the warranty.
>
> The places that sell official unlocks buy them from your carrier or Apple
> itself.
So I looked it up, jailbreaking is legal but if you hand the phone in
in it's jailborken state they will claim your warranty is void, if you
restore the phone to factory before handing it in you should be fine
(at least according to the people on the oh-so-trustable internets)

>> Orange and Cellcom (including golan) based companies still support GSM
>> (2G), however for a player like golan it is reasonable to expect that
>> they will not put up their own 2G network so when/if they get full
>> coverage in an area 2G connectivity may very well be lost.
>

> I disagree. I assume that if they ever do put up a network and it is 3g
> only, they will continue their current roaming agreement with Cell-Com.
>
> Actually I doubt that they will put up more cells than needed to fulfill the
> terms of their license, the Cell-Com deal is too profitable.
>
> HOT had to start from scratch. Although it was marketed as a cellular
> network, it was really a MIRS (trunked radio) network and not compatible
> with any cell phone.
>
> They ripped it all out, and replaced the Motorola MIRS cells with Nokia 3g
> cells. That required replacing everything as MIRS was 800mHz, Israeli 3g is
> 2.1gHz.
Ehm... the iDen network is still up and still heavily used.
But yeah I also heard rumors that they'd like to close it and move
everyone to 3G, I guess if they provide stable PTT services on those
networks and devices that are rugged like most iDen devices most
people won't mind.

> But Golan has too sweet a deal, and too many 2g users to abandon them. So if
> they put up anything at all, they will IMHO keep 2g, even if it is roaming
> onto Cell-Com.
Could be, in the end I guess it'll depend on how many 2G users are
still walking around whether Cellcom/Golan continue to support it or
take it down to reuse the frequency for LTE or newer technologies.
With the fairly high smartphone adaption rate in Israel it will
probably go faster then in other countries.

> The difference is that HOT and Rami Levi (remarkets Pelephone 3g) started
> with no customers and therefore could say, "want our service, buy a 3g
> phone", while Golan is actively pushing customers to 2g phones.
Pelephone didn't start with no customers, when the market was just
released I actually spoke to them to see if I wanted to move to them
but at the time their 3G network wasn't operational yet and I would
have had to buy a new (old) phone just to connect to them.
As far as I can find online Pelephone is still operating it's old
network (EV-DO/CDMA2000) but aren't accepting new customers with that
technology...

Regards,
Eliyahu - אליהו