Winter clock issues in linux

shimi linux-il at shimi.net
Sat Sep 7 21:21:01 IDT 2013

On Sat, Sep 7, 2013 at 9:00 PM, Hetz Ben Hamo <hetz at hetz.biz> wrote:

> Shimi, 2013-c2 updates (available for centos 5.x/rhel 5.x) should be
> sufficient too.

I used the official timezone database naming convention (
http://www.iana.org/time-zones), not a specific distro.

And the official version where Israel's latest timezone got included, is
2013d, like I said. Source:
http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/tz-announce/2013-July/000012.html

I checked
http://mirror.centos.org/centos/5/updates/x86_64/RPMS/tzdata-2013c-2.el5.x86_64.rpmand
the file does have a timestamp of a couple of days after the above
announcement (unfortunately, my zdump can't read it, so I can't tell for
sure what's inside...) - and if you say you have checked and it shows Oct
27th as the day we move to IST... great. Why can't RedHat/CentOS call a
file originating from upstream "2013d" by a name that suggests the origin
version name (if that is indeed the case), like "2013-d" (if they must add
extra dashes)  - is beyond me.

-- Shimi