Nook HD+ and Linux

Steve G. wordz2u at gmail.com
Wed Sep 11 18:07:24 IDT 2013

I apologize if the question show my newbie-ness with regard to android.

Nook prices got so low (around $150), that I bought one. But I am having
trouble transferring files to it for using to play video.

USB connection shows one file, an html which sends me to download an OSX
dmg file for a mac.

I have not used it yet with windows, so I am not sure if this is a
solution. I prefer to not use windows if I can, and I definitely do not
have a mac laying around.

If I connect to a video file on a remote machine, it streams rather than
saves it.

If I rename it as .zip, it downloads it, but then tries to open it with
their office suite.

AFAIK there is no 'terminal' that would allow me to access the directory
system and rename files, and VLC does not have an 'open file' option, which
ignores the extension and looks at the file type.

Any suggestions how to bypass their stupid protection, other than rooting
the device and installing another OS? This is planned for the future, but I
am not ready yet - I want to work within the system.

Thanks,

Z.