Booting HD without grub

E.S. Rosenberg esr+linux-il at g.jct.ac.il
Thu Sep 12 23:01:40 IDT 2013

If I understand you correctly you want to make the system bootable
again but you first want to do a dry run to make sure it works...

So you take a modern livecd, a big external hdd and create a dd
imagefile of the current disk and now you can play all you want even
in a virtual environment without ever having to fear for your data.

Alternatively you again take a second hard disk and install grub on it.

The grub CLI may be a real PITA but it's also crazy powerful once you
get the hang of it....

BTW. for the past I don't know how many years now both IDE and SCSI
drives are handled by the kernel as sdX.... (same subsystem if I'm not
mistaken, but I may be very wrong don't know enough about the kernel
internals, am sure someone on the list does.)

Regards,
Eliyahu - אליהו