Booting HD without grub

Eli Marmor eli at netmask.it
Fri Sep 13 09:41:42 IDT 2013

Thank you Eliyahu (and Steve, of course).

I know the theory, and I even did it in the far past, but I forgot, and now
things work different than should.
I'll try anything you suggest (and most of them I already planned to try),
but so far I'm still stacked (I used live CDs of supergrubdisk and Ubuntu,
each of them failed for other things).

2 more things about the system:

a. In the past I had it under another computer, separated to different
partitions (for boot, var, etc.). After a crash, I restored them from the
backup, put them in one partition (hdd), and booted it from a floppy. I was
too lazy to MBR it in the disk, till it made an ex-employee of me crazy of
that, so he did it, but I don't know exactly what he did, and it worked
great for years.

b. I've planned for a long time to move the jobs of this system to other
machines (and drop it), but it will take at least 2-3 weeks. So maybe I
will not need more than 1 manual boot, and then when the system serves what
it has to serve and in its original environment (it's connected directly to
a leased line), I'll transfer its duties to other computers in my spare
time.

Assuming that I miss one small and idiotic thing, the best for me is to
bring it to anybody who may help, and I believe it will not take more than
several minutes. And I don't want to get this service for free. Can anybody
help?

Thanks again!