OT: Hybrid cars

guy keren guy.choo.keren at gmail.com
Mon Sep 16 02:03:55 IDT 2013

a few observations:

- forget about honda insight. it is not very fuel-efficient.

- the Prius can give you about the same gasoline consumption as a small
manual car (such as the alto, the i10, etc.). this is true both in-town
and out-of-town.

- one of the reasons that the Prius is much more efficient then petrol
cars of comperable size - is that its fewl/electricity
consumption/generation GUI encourages you to drive more efficiently. you
will notice that most Prius owners don't drive very fast - much rarer
then with drivers in other cars of comparable size.

now, to some numbers:

I live in haifa, and drive often up and down-hill. unlike jerusalem,
where there are many long not-very-steep roads , in haifa drives are
usually shorter, and steeper.

my mother, who drove almost only inside the city (haifa), got to a fuel
consumption of ~15.5km/l. using the same car, i get to around 17.5km/l -
because i drive more outside the city (on flater and faster roads).

when driving on the haifa-tel-aviv road, in various driving conditions
(except when during a *very* slow jam where you hardly move) - going a
little better then 20km/l is achieveable - unless i'm very late and
drive too fast (and then it can go down to 15.5-16km/l).

regarding the hybrid toyota yaris - i've no idea, as i don't know anyone
that owns this car.

if you consider buying a hybrid card - you'll do well to consider an
older card (a 3-4 year old car) - it is more economical.

regarding the need to replace its batery - the price of the batery is
not that expensive any more (as far as i know - less then 10K NIS - i
heard figures between 6K and 14K - and it's hard to know who to believe
- i can ask the car repair shop next time i go for the yearly
treatment), and you will probably not need to replace it too early. in
any event, the battery comes with an 8-year/150K-km guarantee from the
manufacturer.

--guy