OT: Hybrid cars

Nadav Har'El nyh at math.technion.ac.il
Mon Sep 16 16:42:31 IDT 2013

On Mon, Sep 16, 2013, guy keren wrote about "Re: OT: Hybrid cars":
> regarding the hybrid toyota yaris - i've no idea, as i don't know
> anyone that owns this car.

I had both a Toyota Prius and hybrid Yaris, and can share these numbers:

I had a Chevrolet Cruze (a typical family-sized car) and was doing on
my usual route (partly city, partly highway, partly climbing mountains,
averaged over a few thousand kilometers) was 10.2L / 100km. When I switched
to a Toyota Prius, on exactly the same route, my average went down to
5.6L / 100km. You can calculate yourself home much money this case save -
likely not enough to justify the Prius's being 40,000 shekel more
expensive then the Chevy.

Then I switched routes (the new route includes more highway time),
and got a new car, the tiny Nissan Micra Eco, which is known for its
low fuel consumption for a non-hybrid car. This did on average (on the
new route) 6.2L / 100km. Lastly, I switched to a hybrid Toyota Yaris,
and got 5.2L / 100km.

Conclusion? The hybrid Yaris is the most fuel-efficent car I ever owned.
But the moeny saving - about 1L per 100km (or about 80 shekels per
1000km) will never repay the 30,000 shekels the Yaris costs more than
the Micra. Of course, the Yaris is better than the Micra in almost
every other thing (most importantly, in crash-test scores).

--
Nadav Har'El                        |      Monday, Sep 16 2013, 12 Tishri 5774