OT: Hybrid cars

Nadav Har'El nyh at math.technion.ac.il
Tue Sep 17 10:46:10 IDT 2013

On Tue, Sep 17, 2013, guy keren wrote about "Re: OT: Hybrid cars":
> km - doesn't manner) - and get the actually (computed, not
> guesstimated) fuel consumption you had across the entire drive. to
> me - this is the *only* number that counts, since the other numbers
> are not steady enough across a long drive.

To me, even the numbers for a single drive aren't reliable enough, since
although you might think this represents your usual driving habbits, it
often doesn't (e.g., you think your long drives to work take most of the
fuel, but your your daily 5 minute drive uphill to put the kid in school
also increase the average).

So I usually avoid resetting the fuel consumption meter until I passed
at least 1,000 kilometers. The 5.2L / 100km number I mentioned for the
hybrid Yaris was an average over 10,000 km.

> in fact, driving without cruise control and adjusting the speed to
> the changing road conditions allows you better fuel consumption then
> using cruise control. since the Prius's speed meter is digital
> rather then analog, you can see exactly how a change of speed of
> even 1km/h sometimes has a dramatic effect on the fuel consumption.
> even more - sometimes keeping the same speed but slightly changing
> the pressure level on the accelerator - can change the fuel
> consumption considerably.

By the way, supposedly one of the reasons the Prius saves you fuel is
by stuffing all that fuel-consumption information in your throat all the
time, you start to behave differently :-)

--
Nadav Har'El                        |     Tuesday, Sep 17 2013, 13 Tishri 5774