EPROM burner

geoffrey mendelson geoffreymendelson at gmail.com
Tue Feb 4 14:08:12 IST 2014

On 2/4/2014 1:54 PM, Rabin Yasharzadehe wrote:
> you can try and build one yourself - http://usbpicprog.org/

Thanks, I doubt that I will be building anything myself anymore.

This would not do anyway, it is for programming PIC chips, I want
EPROMS. PIC chips are processors with read only memory on the chip.
EPROMS are 1970's technology, read only memory chips that can be
programmed with a high enough voltage, and then erased with ultra-violet
light. They were a big step above PROMs which were programed one time
only by literally burning the silicon away.

EPROMs are still made today, in fact while you can buy them for about $1
each pulled from old equipment in China, you can buy electronically
identical  current production ones in modern packages, they are about
$40 each.

The generic burners are cheap enough, under $50 including postage on
eBay, but none of them have software that actually works under 64 bit
Windows.  Since I also have a computer running linux on my desktop, I
thought I would look there.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson 4X1GM/N3OWJ