Feedback about HOT as an isp

E.S. Rosenberg esr+linux-il at g.jct.ac.il
Sun Jan 5 22:21:49 IST 2014

Veering even further off-topic (sorry)

The whole phone-over the internet thing is fairly risky business when
you think about it, Bezeq (or for that matter most line providers in
most countries) has to by law keep it's lines as available as
possible, it provides enough electricity on your phone line to run a
phone so that you can (in theory) call emergency services at all
times, the moment your phone depends on a VoIP box you switch from a
9999 infrastructure to a 90 (and that's optimistic) infrastructure in
which outage in general is not as frowned upon.

During the storm last month a huge amount of calls came in to
emergency services for people who had not been reachable for more then
24 hours because they had HOT or other VoIP services.

For cellular I found HOT to be okay, as ISP/infrastructure I never tried them.

Regards,
Eliyahu - אליהו